Arizona Geological Survey has an open position for a Research Scientist III.
This Research Scientist will be responsible for assisting AZGS research efforts in environmental geology, within the AZGS geologic hazards program, focusing primarily on post-wildfire research. The candidate should have knowledge of sampling methods in burned areas: soil sampling, hydrologic infiltration measurements, vegetation cover surveys, knowledge of flood and debris-flow deposit characteristics, and geomorphic mapping skills. The candidate should have experience with at least one programming language (e.g. Python, MATLAB, C, Fortran), experience developing and/or applying numerical models, and experience using GIS (e.g. ArcPro). TO APPLY or for more details: https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/4334?c=arizona
- Conduct team research, investigations, data analysis and modeling, and geomorphic mapping in areas recently burned by wildfires as part of grant-funded field projects.
- Conduct solo and team geologic mapping and investigations as part of grant-funded field projects.
- Lead and/or contribute to scientific projects that complement AZGS’s mission.
- Participate in peer-reviewed scientific papers.
- Develop and foster collaborative relationships with UA researchers, private-sector industries, regulatory agencies, stakeholders, and other academic institutions.
- Participant in writing proposals for external funding jointly with internal and external partners.
- Ability to engage with staff of varying technical knowledge.
- Strong written communication skills and analytical skills.