- B.S. and M.S., Arizona State University
- B.S. Program, University of Texas at San Antonio
- R.G. State of Arizona, No. 40161
- Quaternary geologic and geomorphic mapping
- Basin analysis throughout Arizona
- Landslide hazard mapping
- Selected outreach projects
- Geologic consultation to Arizona’s 22 native tribes
- Geologic and geomorphic mapping throughout Arizona
- Outreach and education on geology of the southwest
- Water resource characterization
- Structural evolution of Arizona
- Cenozoic Landscape evolution
- Climate change
- Global Eolian distribution and processes
- Glacial landforms and processes
- Sequence stratigraphy and carbonate-siliciclastic sedimentology
- Gootee, B.F., 2011, Geologic evaluation for CO2 sequestration potential in Arizona’s Cenozoic sedimentary basins: The Safford Basin, southeastern Arizona. Arizona Geological Survey Poster Publication, presented before the WESTCARB Annual Business Meeting, 25-26 October 2011, Sacramento, California, 20 slides.
- Gootee, B.F., Mahan, M.K. and Love, D.S., 2012, A summary of salinities in Arizona’s deep groundwater. Arizona Geological Survey Open File Report, OFR-12-26, 23 p.
- Gootee, B.F., Young, J.J., Pearthree, P.A. and Ferguson, C.A., 2013, Detailed Mapping of the Southern Terminus of the Big and Little Chino Fault Zones, North-Central Arizona, Geological Society of America, Abstract and Poster, available at https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2013AM/webprogram/Paper232896.html.
- Gootee, B.F. and Gruber, D.G., 2015, Quartz vein investigation, McDowell Sonoran Preserve, Scottsdale, Maricopa County, Arizona. Arizona Geological Survey Open File Report, OFR-15-03, 69 p.
- Gootee, B.F., Willard, D.J., Wilson, M.J., Barba, W., Jablonsky, J., McCrea, B., Muncaster, Nations, J., Rowan, C. and Wescott, J., 2015, Aerial and Topographic Analysis of Quaternary Faulting at SP Crater Lava Flow, San Francisco Volcanic Field, Arizona, USA: Highlighting Undergraduate Research in Geology. Arizona Geological Survey Open File Report, OFR-15-11, 8 p, 1 appendix.
- Gootee, B.F., Pearthree, P.A., House, P.K., Youberg, A., Spencer, J.E., and O’Connell, B., 2016, Geologic map of the Cibola 7 ½’ Quadrangle and the northwestern part of Cibola SE 7 ½’ Quadrangle, La Paz County, Arizona, and Imperial County, California: Arizona Geological Survey Digital Map DGM-112, scale 1:24,000, 1 report, 21 p.
Brian has 25 years of experience in the fields of geology, hydrogeology, and environmental geology in the Southwest, Texas, Alaska, and Antarctica. He received his M.S. and B.S. in geology from Arizona State University. Brian currently specializes in basin analysis, Quaternary geomorphology, and Geoscience outreach throughout Arizona. Brian has also several years of experience as an adjunct professor with Mesa Community College and currently teaches field-based geology classes with Scottsdale Community College. He also was the lead instructor for the NASA Mars Education Program at ASU to mentor national K-14 science teams to research Mars. He continues to teach natural history backcountry courses with the Grand Canyon Field Institute. Brian’s first 10 years of experience as a hydrogeologist with the USGS, city governments, mining companies and private consulting firms has created a foundation for his ultimate goals in geology: to study, to educate, and to apply the Geosciences in our world. Brian is an avid hiker and enjoys Arizona astronomy, wood- and silver-smithing, and spending time with his wife and two kids anywhere outdoors .